Pages

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Musings on Change

Why is it that when we encounter big changes in our lives, we tend to focus our energies on seeing the inadequacies instead of seeing the change for the possibilities for growth?

For anyone who reads this who knows me fairly well (at least, on the level of Facebook anyway) you might well guess the kind of changes I'm referring to. For those who may not know me as well, I'm referring to changes like getting married, having children, moving out of the home for the first time and so on. Lately, as I've been preparing for my future changes in life, my thoughts turn more negative instead of positive. "How will I be able to keep being loved after all the mistakes I make?" or "Is this really something I want?"

As I type that, however, I notice a key flaw in the logic of these statements. These statements act under the assumption that I am alone in this change. Now I ask you, when is anyone ever TRULY alone? With a loving Father in Heaven and angels surrounding us, there is never a time that we can truly say we have been completely alone. What comfort this brings, doesn't it? I'm reminded of a talk by an apostle of the Lord, Jesus Christ. In this talk, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland speaks of our Savior and His lonely journey to provide our salvation. This was a path He had to walk completely alone. He did this solitary act so that we do not have to endure doubt and insecurity on our own. We can trust that His grace IS sufficient for us and that we will be lifted up at the last day if we are faithful (D&C 17:8).

I'm sorry I've been so MIA. I've decided to get back to writing. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment